Skip to main content

How to make a Slick Ballet Bun with Side Part | Donut Bun



Hey Mocha Family,

Did you know that I've been making these slick ballet buns for years?  I especially loved how this one stayed picture perfect for the entire day.  It's all in the technique and not rushing the process.  Take your time detangling or the hair won't be as flat on the head.  I actually reach for a tool like my Tangle Teezer for this.  Finger detangling is not enough.  Moisturize for a good shine, but be sure to use products that mix well with the gel you're using.  I use lots and lots of gel.  I am literally gluing the strands in place with gel.  Brush it all in with a natural boars bristles brush.  A paddle brush is just not the same.  Don't forget to gel the bun itself!  Nothing worse than laid hair with a fuzzy bun.  Finally, tie everything down with a silky scarf.  Be sure to apply pressure to every strand you hope to set.  Do NOT remove the scarf until the hair is as dry as possible.  It's OK if the hair is damp in the middle, but the front and sides which tend to fuzz up easily and get sweaty will need to be dry so that the ends don't result.  In a time crunch I have used a bonnet/hooded dryer on low heat to speed things up.



All that said, there are a number of approaches to try.  Please check out my Slick Ballet Bun playlist on YouTube for some more ideas.



Be blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please leave that baby's hair alone!

I'll never forget the first time I saw Mocha Girl One (HmG) . She was an emergency c-section, and had to spend several days in NICU. She was born four days past her estimated due date and looked huge in her incubator. I imagined her to be especially delicate and feminine. I couldn't wait to frill her up, and more importantly to do her hair ! The only reason she wasn't sporting a barrette the day we took her home from the hospital, was because the one I brought to match her lacey outfit, slid right out. Mocha Girl One's baby hair was silky straight and fine. As the weeks rolled by, it became wavier until she had a lovely curly fro. I washed it all the time . I brushed it several times a day . I tried snap clips, and moved to velcro barrets when the clips slid out. I bought a different head band for every outfit. Meanwhile her curls continued to wind tighter and tighter. I kept everything in a pretty box, dubbed the hair bin . I was really frustrated at not b

Weight Loss Journey | Holiday Weight Gain

Hey Mocha Family, I can't believe I am packing twenty extra pounds! I guess weight management comes to everyone sooner or later. Can I smirk at the younger me who didn't own a scale and could eat whatever she wanted? Here is what I am doing to kick off my weight loss journey. I don't expect to lose twenty pounds in twenty one days. Instead I hope to break some really bad habits and restart my body for the New Year. With more than a decade of experience fasting like this, I know this works well for me. Be blessed!

16 Month Lock Update: Styling Session