Hey Mocha Family,
Here is the break down of pros and cons according to my personal experience:
Pros to Starting Short
1. Very little to no bunching.
2. Hair locked faster.
Cons to Starting Short
1. Limited styling.
2. More unravelling during the baby stage.
3. Mental adjustment to short hair aesthetic which looked different to me than short loose hair.
Pros to Starting Long
1. Variety of styling options.
2. I had no unravelling in the baby stage when I started with braids.
Cons to Starting Long
1. Possible bunching as the hair shrinks and condensing.
2. Rapid loss of length to shrinkage.
3. Mental adjustment to super fuzzy hair.
4. Slower transformation to hair looking locked.
If you can think of more pros and cons, please leave a comment!