Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Mg3: A Birth Story

For some reason I was really worried about Mg3's delivery.  Looking back, I'm perplexed as to why her delivery made me so anxious.  My support system had improved from what it was like with previous births. We were finally living in our hometown where I could access my relatives AND friends.  Perhaps it was because, our lifestyles had changed so much.  People were busier and more difficult to access in NYC.  People around me always seemed to be running.  Their lives stretched them so much.  I didn't think they were available, though I never doubted they loved me.

I worried a lot about who would be around to take me to the hospital, and if everything would work out for someone to stay with my 3 older children.  If my husband was at work when labor started, I realized that under the best of circumstances it would take him a minimum of  ninety minutes to reach me.  Everyone worked, so I kept replaying this scenario over and over with everyone I knew.  Maybe I could ask a fellow homemaker? What about their kids and routines?  Would they get to me in time?  For some reason, all of this became a huge deal to my pregnant mind.

I should have exhaled, because God has always shown himself faithful to me.  I never know the details in advance, but things work out.

I started having labor contractions at 1AM on a Sunday morning.  I stayed in bed for as long as I could.  They were easy contractions.  Everyone in the house was sleeping peacefully.  The pain wasn't bad at all, but around 4 AM, I decided to get in the shower because it was soothing.  I had been training myself to relax through an all natural birth and had a midwife waiting for me at the hospital.  The shower really relaxed me and sped things up.  By 5 AM I was certain I was having strong productive contractions, so I woke my husband up and called the midwife.

She picked something up in my voice in the midst of a contraction because suddenly she shouted, "WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING AT HOME???"

I called my sister who lived in the same development.  In fact, I could look at her front door from my living room window.  They agreed to come and stay with the sleeping kids while my husband and I rushed to the hospital.

When we arrived I was almost completely dilated.  The pain of the contractions didn't challenge me until it was time to push.  I thought I'd never make it through, but after several pushes Mg3 was out.

No meds.  

Absolutely nothing.

For the first time I realized what a woman's body really feels like after pushing out a baby.  Minus the epidural....everything was throbbing.  I remember being really puzzled by this and asking the nurse if something was wrong, but she laughed and reminded me that I had just passed a baby through a spot that's not generally so stretched.  LOL!  I was sooooo happy.

My first impression of Mg3 was awe.  She was so alert.  She stared at me with eyes that were communicating a message.  It scared me a little.  This was no senseless blank slate.  She looked at me like, "Hi Mom!  So this is what you look like."  

Seriously.  

She seemed to be studying me as intently as I was studying her and I was struck by the reality that I had been given another person to cherish.


Happy Birthday Mg3!  You're still the same and I'm so grateful God trusted me with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please leave that baby's hair alone!

I'll never forget the first time I saw Mocha Girl One (HmG) . She was an emergency c-section, and had to spend several days in NICU. She was born four days past her estimated due date and looked huge in her incubator. I imagined her to be especially delicate and feminine. I couldn't wait to frill her up, and more importantly to do her hair ! The only reason she wasn't sporting a barrette the day we took her home from the hospital, was because the one I brought to match her lacey outfit, slid right out. Mocha Girl One's baby hair was silky straight and fine. As the weeks rolled by, it became wavier until she had a lovely curly fro. I washed it all the time . I brushed it several times a day . I tried snap clips, and moved to velcro barrets when the clips slid out. I bought a different head band for every outfit. Meanwhile her curls continued to wind tighter and tighter. I kept everything in a pretty box, dubbed the hair bin . I was really frustrated at not b

Weight Loss Journey | Holiday Weight Gain

Hey Mocha Family, I can't believe I am packing twenty extra pounds! I guess weight management comes to everyone sooner or later. Can I smirk at the younger me who didn't own a scale and could eat whatever she wanted? Here is what I am doing to kick off my weight loss journey. I don't expect to lose twenty pounds in twenty one days. Instead I hope to break some really bad habits and restart my body for the New Year. With more than a decade of experience fasting like this, I know this works well for me. Be blessed!

Trader Joe's Castille Soap Discontinued!

There's some controversy about the use of castille soap as a shampoo. For example, popular YouTuber Kim , of KimmayTube tested the ph of Bronner's Castille Soap and found it to be much higher than the recommended range for hair (between 4 and 5). You can watch her explain her findings. She also did an informative series fraught with good visuals on understanding the effects of ph on hair. That said, I've been using diluted castille soap successfully for YEARS, but I've never tried Bronner's Castille Soap. I had a bottle of Trader Joe's Castille Soap . Turns out Trader Joe's formula includes Aloe Vera --which has an acidic ph---probably bringing down the overall ph of the product--perhaps balancing it for hair. The manufacturer recommends it's use as a shampoo right on the bottle's label. I did not get a chance to personally test the ph of my bottle, because by the time I noticed Aloe as an ingredient of my castille soap, the bottle was empty