You've been asking how to instill a positive self image in your girls, and one of the most effective tools I've used is flooding them with positive images of black beauty. I try to find stories that celebrate things they experience in their own lives. Why should they feel important if they never see themselves as central figures in books and entertainment?
I review the following books:
1. Shante Keys and the New Year's Peas by Gail Piernas-Davenport
2. I love My Hair by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley
3. Honey, I Love by Eloise Greenfield
4. The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll by Patricia McKissack
5. Satchel Paige: Don't Look Back by David A. Adler
6. Cornrows by Camille Yarbrough
I make mention of the following:
1. Rosa by Nikki Giovanni
The focus of this review was on the images, but in the future I will review one book per video and give a summary of the stories with some insight on what I liked, disliked, and where the conversation went with my girls.
Check it out here.