Skip to main content

Mushy Naps

Have you ever overcooked noodles? Did you know that noddles keep cooking if you leave them sitting in hot water? One busy evening, I boiled a pot of spaghetti, and left it sitting in the water. As I ran around the house managing one crisis after another, the spaghetti soaked up much of the fluid in the pot. When I finally returned to the kitchen to dish up our meal, I was amazed by the sheer size of the water logged noodles. I thought I could save the meal by drowning the spaghetti further in sauce, but as I watched in dismay, large chunks sloshed off the serving spoon in the transfer from pot to plate. I encouraged myself with the thought that sometimes food tastes better than it looks, but when I gingerly sampled a tiny bit, it disintegrated in my mouth in a gooey, mushy mess. I quickly spit it out, and reached for my phone to call in pizza.

Mushy naps can behave like water logged spaghetti noodles. We all know nappy hair can be dry, and many of us go to extremes trying to keep it moisturized. I've found a plethora of extreme moisture regimens online. While we may occasionally need to do a long conditioning treatment to remedy an unusual problem with dryness, we shouldn't be incessantly soaking our nappy hair with moisture building concoctions. Ever heard the adage, "too much of a good thing is a bad thing?" This is very true for nappy hair.

While you won't wake up one morning with strands you can visibly see have swollen to twice their size, that's exactly what's going on when we trap too much water, or moisture rich products in our strands. When nappy hair with this problem is touched, it feels too soft. If you gather a good portion in your fist it's like squeezing a handful of mush.

Mushy naps are too stretchy. Elasticity is good, but a good moderate stretch should hold with average resistance. Mushy naps keep stretching, but there's no strength to hold. They snap sickly under modest pressure. Mushy naps are fragile and weak.

Mushy naps are too lazy to hold on to adjacent strands. Our strands maintain sets by twining with adjacent strands and standing strong. Mushy nappy strands have everything invested in holding the water within.

Your nappy hair may be mushy, if it feels too soft, and all the crinkles, waves and curls quickly fall out, when you remove braids, twists and curlers. You may also be able to observe hair that barely floats, and almost looks heavy. As you manipulate this mushy hair it stretches too much, and snaps weakly, like an old rubber band which has lost its strength.

The chief remedy for mushy naps is protein treatments balanced with moisture. First, we substitute moisture rich products for protein rich products. Protein strengthens the hair shaft, but be careful. Nappy strands which are overloaded with protein behave like work hardened metal. If you bend a paper clip back and forth, it hardens until it snaps apart. When you treat nappy hair with protein, be sure to return to a balanced moisture routine as the shaft hardens to a normal degree. Look for a moderate stretch that holds against average pressure. For example, detangled nappy hair should NOT stretch and snap as you slide a rat tail comb through to separate two sections with a part.

Be sure to use a balanced approach with whatever you learn here, in books, and on the internet.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Please leave that baby's hair alone!

I'll never forget the first time I saw Mocha Girl One (HmG) . She was an emergency c-section, and had to spend several days in NICU. She was born four days past her estimated due date and looked huge in her incubator. I imagined her to be especially delicate and feminine. I couldn't wait to frill her up, and more importantly to do her hair ! The only reason she wasn't sporting a barrette the day we took her home from the hospital, was because the one I brought to match her lacey outfit, slid right out. Mocha Girl One's baby hair was silky straight and fine. As the weeks rolled by, it became wavier until she had a lovely curly fro. I washed it all the time . I brushed it several times a day . I tried snap clips, and moved to velcro barrets when the clips slid out. I bought a different head band for every outfit. Meanwhile her curls continued to wind tighter and tighter. I kept everything in a pretty box, dubbed the hair bin . I was really frustrated at not b

Weight Loss Journey | Holiday Weight Gain

Hey Mocha Family, I can't believe I am packing twenty extra pounds! I guess weight management comes to everyone sooner or later. Can I smirk at the younger me who didn't own a scale and could eat whatever she wanted? Here is what I am doing to kick off my weight loss journey. I don't expect to lose twenty pounds in twenty one days. Instead I hope to break some really bad habits and restart my body for the New Year. With more than a decade of experience fasting like this, I know this works well for me. Be blessed!

Trader Joe's Castille Soap Discontinued!

There's some controversy about the use of castille soap as a shampoo. For example, popular YouTuber Kim , of KimmayTube tested the ph of Bronner's Castille Soap and found it to be much higher than the recommended range for hair (between 4 and 5). You can watch her explain her findings. She also did an informative series fraught with good visuals on understanding the effects of ph on hair. That said, I've been using diluted castille soap successfully for YEARS, but I've never tried Bronner's Castille Soap. I had a bottle of Trader Joe's Castille Soap . Turns out Trader Joe's formula includes Aloe Vera --which has an acidic ph---probably bringing down the overall ph of the product--perhaps balancing it for hair. The manufacturer recommends it's use as a shampoo right on the bottle's label. I did not get a chance to personally test the ph of my bottle, because by the time I noticed Aloe as an ingredient of my castille soap, the bottle was empty